Survey: there’s less pre-launch interest in the iPhone 14 than there was for the iPhone 13

The Sellers Research Group (that’s me) is dubious, but a new survey by SellCell, a site for selling phones online, says that folks are less excited by the upcoming iPhone 14 before its launch than they were for the iPhone 13.

SellCell has surveyed 19,586 US adult iPhone and Android smartphone owners—equally split—to gauge hype around the forthcoming iPhone 14, and see who, if anyone, will switch to the iPhone 14 when it hits the proverbial shelves. Here’s the highlights of the survey:

  • When asked whether they would buy an iPhone 14, a respectable 13.6% of 19,586 respondents answered in the affirmative, leaving 86.4% who aren’t investing in the next iPhone model.
  • Of the 9793 respondents who currently own an iPhone, 14.1% will consider upgrading to the iPhone 14-series in September.
  • 13.2% of Android users, who made up the remaining 9793 of all respondents, indicated that they would jump ship from their current handset to the iPhone 14-series—a huge chunk of the Android consumer base.
  • iPhone 14 purchase intent has dropped when compared to purchase intent for the iPhone 13. Last year, 43.7% of iPhone owners said they would upgrade to the iPhone 13, compared to only 14.1% who will upgrade to the 14 this year.
  • Likewise, while many Android owners are sticking to their guns this year, 13.2% will upgrade to the 14. However, that figure resided at 18.3% for the iPhone 13 in 2021, a number that has decreased steadily year on year.
Dennis Sellers
the authorDennis Sellers
Dennis Sellers is the editor/publisher of Apple World Today. He’s been an “Apple journalist” since 1995 (starting with the first big Apple news site, MacCentral). He loves to read, run, play sports, and watch movies.