Another slow news day in the Apple world, but that means it’s OK for all of you to go out and get a beer, then listen to the AWT News Update podcast:
- Apple is expected to release new iPhones and the new Apple TV on September 9
- Verizon drops subsidies, and also releases some data plans to go along with that announcement
- comScore says the iPhone grabbed 1.5 percent more marketshare in the US in the June quarter
Don’t want to listen to the podcast? Open your favorite browser and read the text version below.
Today’s Apple news in less than five minutes; that’s the AWT News Update!
- Betas of OS X Yosemite, iOS 8.4 appear in the Apple Developer Center
- Apple’s being sued by an Irish firm over its alleged misuse of the “iWatch” trademark in the EU
- The New York Post says negotiations are moving along nicely now for Apple’s planned streaming TV service for cable cutters
Don’t want to listen to the podcast? The text version is just below…
No, you haven’t suddenly been transported back to the mid-1980s, somehow keeping your MacBook, iMac, iPad and iPhone in the process. A group of Apple IIgs fans at the Apple Pugetsound Program Library Exchange (A.P.P.L.E.) banded together to release the first update to their favorite computer in “22 years, 2 months, 2 days and 2 hours”. The result? They were able to squash a lot of two-decade-old bugs and add some new features. From the release notes:
Finder (see also Finder Help)
The list is FSTs now includes the RDOS 3.3 name. You can navigate through the folders hierarchy with ‘Command-Up Arrow’.
The Ethertalk driver is now included. This is the driver for the unreleased Ethernet for Appletalk card.
File System Translators (FSTs)
The HFS.FST bug is removed. Your HFS disks are now safe!
Some bugs from the PASCAL.FST were removed.
The DOS33.FST has been corrected.
The Animation tool (tool037) is now included. It allows fast animation on the Apple IIgs.
The TextEdit bug when more than 1024 styles were used is fixed.
The Font Manager bug is now squashed.
Some bugs in the Window Manager were removed.
QuickerGraph that accelerates some drawing routines is now included. This program is unfinished and your system may become unstable if you install it.
This is a proof-of-concept update. Updating the System Software can be done! There are other bugs in the System, let’s correct them for a 6.0.3 update in a month or so…