As noted on an Apple Developer forum thread, macOS Monterey 12.3 — which was released on March 14 — is causing problems for Macs that have had their logic board replaced.
From the thread: There is a firmware bug in Mac OS 12.3 that renders the update impossible to install on any 2021 14 or 16 inch MacBook Pro that has had it’s logic board replaced.
The cycle is:
- You try to upgrade, the upgrade will fail but recovery to handle it correctly, you’ll reboot still on 12.2.1 but with a report a problem dialogue informing you of an iBoot Panic
- You’ll try to upgrade again. This time, the iBoot FW will corrupt. You’ll see the apple icon flash on boot 5-6 times before seeing the exclamation mark symbol telling you recovery is needed.
- You can try and revive using a second Mac with Apple Configurator 2. This will fail, because it tries to load the 12.3 firmware from the IPSW, in either DFU or Recovery mode.
- The only way to get things running again is to manually download the 12.2.1 IPSW and use Apple Configurator 2, with the Mac in DFU mode, to load the revive image. This will update the firmware of iBoot, and the recovery image to a working build. The Mac will then restore 12.2.1’s OS, keeping your data upon finishing.
About macOS Monterey 12.3
Here are Apple’s release notes for macOS Monterey 12.3:
macOS 12.3 adds Universal Control so you can use a single mouse and keyboard across your Mac and iPad. This release also includes new emoji, dynamic head tracking for Music, and other features and bug fixes for your Mac.
Universal Control (beta)
– Universal Control allows you to use a single mouse and keyboard across iPad and Mac
– Text can be typed on either Mac or iPad and you can drag and drop files between them
– Dynamic head tracking is available in Music with supported AirPods on Mac computers with the M1 chip
– Customizable spatial audio settings for Off, Fixed, and Head Tracked are now in Control Center with supported AirPods on Mac computers with the M1 chip
– New emoji including faces, hand gestures, and household objects are available in emoji keyboard
– Handshake emoji allows you to choose separate skin tones for each hand
This release also includes the following enhancements for your Mac:
– Siri now includes an additional voice, expanding the diversity of options
– Podcasts app adds episode filter for seasons, played, unplayed, saved, or downloaded episodes
– Safari webpage translation adds support for Italian and Chinese (Traditional)
– Shortcuts now supports adding, removing, or querying tags with Reminders
– Saved passwords can now include your own notes
– Battery capacity readings have improved accuracy
This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac:
– News widgets in Today View may not open articles when clicked
– Audio may sound distorted while watching video in the Apple TV app
– Some photos and videos may be unintentionally moved when organizing albums in Photos
You can download macOS Monterey 12.3 by doing to System Preferences > Software Update.
Dennis thank you for the article. I got bit by this just yesterday. Apple support was unaware of this issue and no-one connected the dots when it came to the fact that my machine had the logic board replaced. I’m downloading the 12.2.1 IPSW now!
Comments are closed.