While you’re using an app in iPadOS15, you can switch it to a Slide Over window—a smaller window that slides in front of another app or window—and open another app behind it.
For example, while you’re using the Photos app, you can have Messages open in a Slide Over window and carry on a conversation while looking at photos. iPad keeps track of the apps you open in Slide Over so that you can switch between them easily.
To switch between apps in Slide Over:
Swipe right along the bottom of the Slide Over window, or do the following:
- Swipe halfway up the screen from the bottom of the Slide Over window, pause, then lift your finger.
All the Slide Over windows appear.
- Tap the app you want to view, if it’s visible.
If you don’t see it, swipe left and right through the apps.
You can also use the App Switcher to switch between apps in Slide Over.
To move the Slide Over window
Do one of the following:
- Move the Slide Over window to the other side of the screen: Drag from the three dot icon at the top of the Slide Over window.
- Temporarily hide the Slide Over window: Swipe all the way up from the bottom of the Slide Over window, or swipe the three dot icon, or drag either side of the window to the left edge of the screen. The Slide Over window disappears and a tab appears to indicate the Slide Over window is still available.
- Move the Slide Over window back onto the screen: Drag the tab indicating the Slide Over window from the left edge of the screen.
(This how-to is based on my experiences and info on Apple’s support pages — where the images sometimes come from.)